Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Indian Summer




Loving the weather right now here in Nor Cal. I think we are having what I think of as an Indian Summer, so late in the year. However, you might want to click on this link. According to Wikipedia,  the name Indian Summer, has many different definitions and orgins. Don't you love learning new things? I found it quite interesting!

Here, in the Bay Area, I love this time of the year for late evening walks, harvesting the last of the summer garden and enjoying the bounty. Though, sometimes, we are still getting tomatoes in late October! Just check out these gorgeous tomatoes from my Dad's garden! Wish I could send the smell. Just love to see them on the counter.

Winery lunch!
Last week, I had the good fortune to go wine tasting twice! Once, was with school Moms, for a tasting and picnic we try to do at the start and ending of the school year. I highly recommend this tradition! Then, last weekend, our dear friends also asked us to go with them to pick up some bottles and taste at the winery they belong to. We brought our families and had a ball. This is the season people!


Check out this Peacock who stopped by to say hi at our lunch! Loved him, but some of the girls were not so enamored!


 I just love tasting a few wines in the afternoon, and a picnic after. It's always memorable and really makes you stop and realize what a gift friends and life are. Even a short trip to a winery for a few hours seems like a getaway. And as parents of school age kids, we need to grab those small bits!!



The view from my window- can you see the birds in the plant?

I don't know if you can see, but a whole flock of beautiful goldfinches have invaded this Sunflower that my son bought and planted on the front porch. I couldn't believe it until I heard this crazy chirping. At one point there was 8 at a time on it! Didn't know Sunflowers were such an attraction for the little darlings, but I'm getting more of these. They are gorgeous birds and blend right in with the plant. I love sunny afternoons with the late-afternoon light flooding the room and their sweet chirping.

Couldn't resist adding this Fallish pic of my boys on a swing in Carmel.

Speaking of small bits and children, well it's that time again! Time for the annual scout popcorn drive. my husband and I have done this now for, 7 years I think. My fourth grader hit the court people up. (Sorry ladies!), and was so proud to have sold $100 worth of that...stuff! Here he is now, on the left, a year one Weeblo with his dear buddy. Love this age.



Yesterday, I actually found a gorgeous cable knit cardigan on sale at Banana, and also was spying some pretty suede booties at J.Crew. Then I was thinking if I had time to plan one more pool party before our weather turns. Guess I've got one foot in Summer and the other in Fall. I'm thankful to enjoy it all so long here.

No comments:

Post a Comment