Saturday, May 5, 2012

California Weekends- What to Pack for Carmel

I am off on a little getaway to Carmel to celebrate my husband"s birthday. I know, it sounds like I just went somewhere and next weekend we are going away for a family wedding as well. It's unusual that these all happened at the same time. I am however, a bit excited to get away. We are going without my kids, which is also unusual. We rarely get to do this more than once a year or so. The last time was about a year and a half ago! Truly. Life gets so crazy when your kids are older too. It's hard to find the time. But this post isn't about that. It's about what to pack!



Carmel Valley




I like, but also dread the packing for getaways because I always over-pack and end up bringing strange items from my wardrobe that rarely see the light of day. You know what I mean, those exotic items you bought in some shopping stupor where you were imagining yourself Lauren Hutton on Safari or Talitha Getty in Marrakech. Yeah, I have those pieces. I also over think it all. What do I wear to breakfast, the pool, dinner, the drive and what if I am not dressed up enough? SO much to think of. To make my life easier and possibly yours, I am going to begin a little series about what to bring on different types of jaunts. The credit for this also belongs to my pal Rachael, who suggested it. I have always loved to read anything about packing and travel. Maybe I just like dreaming of all the places I could go. I love travel more than anything.

Talitha. I have clothes like this. I so use them on my many trips to school and Target. 


Carmel is one of the most gorgeous places on the planet and I am so fortunate to live here in Northern California and be so close. When I say Carmel, I also mean the whole Monterey Peninsula area. That encompasses Carmel by the Sea, Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel Valley in the hills to the East. We are staying in the warm and sunny Carmel Valley, but will most likely end up at some point in the foggier and cooler town of Carmel, too. For this reason I need to pack for two climates! Seriously, I kid you not . If you don't believe me try spending a day in town here and you will see how many Carmel sweatshirts are sold to tourists. It's not unusual to see winter coats and sweaters worn here especially during summer time!! Carmel Valley, up the road about 20 minutes from Carmel is a warm wine region and not unlike Napa and Sonoma. So you really have to think before packing.





Carrie and Mr. Big. I'm sure this is what my husband feels like traveling with me. Just love his expression here. 

Carmel is a cosmopolitan place where people dress very well, but casual. Carmel Valley tends to be a horsier set where as Carmel by the Sea, is a little more flashy.


What to bring for a weekend in Carmel:



Skinny white jeans.

Blue jeans with cuffed hem.

 Button down white shirt, for day. Can also double a a cover-up by the pool if it's longer.

 Comfy flats. One bright pair from Tom's. Love the mesh espadrilles in red-fuschia! (I know I have a problem, but they are just so comfy!)





Flip flops for the pool. I have pair of Tory Burch that have lasted three years. For the $45 they make everything look chic. Great to wear to the spa or breakfast too.




One pair of heeled sandals for evenings when you feel like dressing up. I particularly love wedges for summer like these from Coach.





Cozy cardigan for cool days and around the room. This can be also cute paired with white jeans and cute tennis shoes on a colder day.



 Even warmer light quilted jacket or blazer to layer.

Swimsuit. I always prefer a tankini or a bikini under layers.


My favorite cover-up from Hawaii with my DKNY poppy swim suit.  I swear the suit does not look so road cone bright on!


 Cute cover-up, hat and tote for the pool. I have a wonderful light bag woven bag from Gap with sequins. It's just the right size to fold or bring extra magazines, books or my lap-top in.






A dress for dinner or dressy blouse like mine below. (Nights get really cool in Carmel and you'll most likely want to cover your legs even on summer nights.)  I'll pair this with skinny cargo pants or white jeans for night and heels. Daytime I'd add my red Tom's and rolled jeans.






At least one scarf for cooler days and to add a pop of color and flair. I like to bring two like below.




A pretty sleeveless top to layer or not if it warms up.

A nautical inspired T or sweater like mine below from H&M. Good to layer over bikinis too. I hate my middle and I live for cover-ups.





One casual skirt or shorts should the weather turn warm. One of my favorite looks is shorts and a long-sleeved T or sweater or jacket. Perfect for places by the coast where the weather can turn cool. Love this casual chic look on Kate Moss.




One handbag that you love. A bright color is fun. Maybe not too big so you can bring it to dinner too. I think it's nice if your bags and shoes are in good shape, and nice quality. They make everything else look great. You don't need expensive clothes if your shoes and bag look good.






A tunic like this one I bought a few years back. Great for by the pool or paired with white jeans and big earrings at night!

Cozy pants and soft T-shirt for lounging around the room. PJs could also work. I do like to have something cute and cozy with me to wear to breakfast without getting dressed for the day yet. No sloppy sweats, but yoga pants and a wrap sweater could work with a soft T.





Most importantly, accessories! I bring a few bracelets, wear my favorite necklace, bring a another chunky  necklace or fun earrings for night. A cute cocktail ring is always good too! It's good to have options. Sunglasses are so important and I love aviators and wayfarer styles right now.




My jewelry roll bag from my dear friend Jen. Love this thing. Not sure if J Crew makes these anymore. This is just a few things I threw in.


Don't forget fashion and trashy magazines along with a great novel for the pool side (or by the fire, in Carmel!)

I hope this list helps you pack if anyone is going to the Monterey- Carmel area or just a resort weekend.



Next up: Dressing for a wedding weekend!

P.S. If you like this blog and want a regular update on it, don't forget to follow it on the Bloglovin button above and you will get each new post sent to your inbox!

xo

Kim








No comments:

Post a Comment