Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day and Normandy

Hope everyone had a relaxing weekend. I can't say enough about how much this holiday means to me. After visiting Normandy a few years ago, I feel even more the debt we owe to those who gave so much. Sometime soon I'll do another post on that entire trip. 



It was in 2008 and my boys were a bit younger, but they understand now even more what Omaha Beach was and all of it. When we visited, the new visitor center at the The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial had just opened and it does a great job of telling you the stories behind so many who rest there. I am truly grateful to have had that experience and I'll never ever take for granted all we have here in the United States. 





Omaha Beach above and below my sons walking down to the bunkers.



The upper part of the cemetery looking over Omaha Beach.






We walked along the crosses finding men from California and so many American small towns. A bit down the road is Pont du Hoc, and below, my boys there where the Rangers scaled the cliffs.

There is much to see and learn at all these sites. I think everyone should visit Normandy if they can.



Thank you to all who have served. 

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment