Friday, May 11, 2012

What to Wear to a Summer Wedding

The Middleton sisters attending a wedding. I love their style.

Are you attending a wedding this season? I am lucky enough to be invited to two this Summer.  One is this weekend for my cousin Jill. I am very excited yet a bit stressed about getting my outfit together. It's an evening wedding and so, a bit fancier than the usual. After getting my two boys and husband's outfit's together, I am left with no time to think of myself. Yikes! I trolled the internet for advice or images on what to wear and I tell you, there's not much out there. It's every guest for himself and your own instincts. I think there was a cute column in Allure a while back titled: classy, crassy or trashy. For weddings, you should always try to go classy. 


Let's see a few guests.




This gal gets it right with dress that looks chic, pretty hair, earrings and bag.







Patty Hansen & Keith Richards at a wedding.  I kind of love this dress.  He may not be the best accessory. via REX



Olivia Palermo with a jacket over her dress attending a wedding. 



Let's talk day weddings . With all these luscious fruity shades this Spring why not wear one?

Love this Michael Kors orange sheath!
This Valentino looks demure, but the sheer arms and shorter length make it appropriately sexy.




Love everything about this-the color, the shape and length. Macys.com



Maggie Boutique at Nordstrom.com

Adorable dress for a younger guest. shopbop.com




Love the retro style and color of this shift from Shabby Apple


Vera Wang Lavender dress Neiman Marcus.com


This Nicole Miller dress really says summer to me. Neiman Marcus.com



Evening weddings require attire more in the cocktail spectrum and a bit of sparkle, lace and a little skin is okay or even expected.


Lauren by Ralph Lauren. This is gorgeous.

JS Boutique- Nordstrom. All you need with this is a sparkly clutch.

Lace is very chic now. This could look good on a lot of ladies. Adrianna Papell at Nordstrom.




This is pretty for a evening wedding with the chiffon and jeweled shoulder. JS Boutique. Nordstrom
Okay he got it right. I'm liking his Prada-esque look and not too flashy. Who's his stylist?


Now remember go classy, not crassy or trashy. This means no white or even close to it. Not too much skin. This is not your high school reunion. If you would wear your dress to go out in Vegas, then maybe you need to rethink your choice.

 Do only one or two sparkly accessories for evenings only and no pantyhose unless you are close to the Queens age. You need a wrap or cardigan for the church and cooler nights and try to bring a small evening bag. Clutches are perfect. I really like this Drew box clutch from Banana Republic and it does in a cream color too.





Men, let's see some effort!! You need to wear a tie with a jacket. Yes, you do. Sorry I've been to too many California weddings where the men don't. They just look scrappy. Do you know how handsome you look dressed up? I'm training my men early. Exhibit A:







My boys trying out their wedding suits and Grif my youngest added 3-D glasses to his ensemble! 


What are your thoughts on wedding guest attire? Do you have any pet peeves or musts?

Kim




No comments:

Post a Comment