Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Little About Me and an Award...



This week I so surprised to find that Adrienne, of The Rich Life on a Budget had nominated me for the Inspiring Blogger award. I was more than flattered since I adore Adrienne's blog!

 The instructions for accepting the award are as follows:

~Share seven things about yourself.

~Nominate seven bloggers you admire.

~Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them.

~Let the other bloggers know they were nominated.


Here's the part where a babble on about me..Yikes.


1. I am a certified scuba diver thanks to my husband who persuaded me to get certified when we first started dating. I have dove in Fiji, Grand Cayman and Monterey Bay. Because of Max, I have done some very cool dives. I love scuba, but have been lately more inclined to snorkel when on holiday, due to sea sickness and I am honestly getting more cowardly as I age!




2. I am kind of a mutt. On my father's side I am English, Scottish, Irish and some Blackfoot Indian. My Mother's parents were both first generation Americans. My mother's mom was Lithuanian and my mother's dad was Bohemian, from the Czech Republic.



3. I majored in Theatre at San Jose State. My Dad wanted me to study business, which would probably have been smarter, but I loved San Jose State and got a fantastic education there.  I was able to be in many productions there. My favorites were the Shakespeare plays A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Winter's Tale. The professors and teachers were really outstanding. Unlike my husband who went to a highly coveted UC school, I got to know so many of my professors and was really mentored there.

4. I taught Drama and directed plays for 2 years with a friend at Notre Dame girl's high school in San Jose after I graduated. I loved the interaction with the girls and doing all aspects of producing and directing stage shows. Truthfully though, I was not cut out for the life of an actor. I love the stage, but I liked having money too and I wasn't willing to make the sacrifices it took to be a starving artist. I also went to school with so many talented actors that it amazes me they aren't all famous now. I think there really is also a lot of luck involved in an actor's life.



5. I worked for a long time in cosmetics at Nordstrom to supplement my teacher pay and while in college. I sold skincare and did makeup for Estee Lauder, Lancome and Borghese. Because of that job, I learned about fashion, dressing well, applying flattering makeup and also caring for my skin. I have used eye cream and sunscreen since I was very young because of my time in cosmetics. I gained so much from that job, not the least was customer service, people skills, and graciously dealing with the public. For example, applying makeup regularly to the transgender guy who would come in to get green shadow and red lips! You had to be kind to everyone and treat them with respect. Those skills have helped me so much in life. I am grateful for that experience. I also did makeup for brides and fashion shows after I left that job.

via

6. Due my Nordstrom experience and the people skills honed there, I later got a job in advertising at The Mercury News. Thanks to a friend's sister's referral, I started in real estate home ads and then moved up to managing and helping design all the ads for restaurants and retail in a large area. We had a team of four women that worked in a really fun office with our own admin, cars and perks. It was a great job and I loved it. When my first son came along, I gave it up to be at home with him. I don't regret that decision ever, but do miss working sometimes.

My first baby Jackson!


7. I am married to an engineer and computer genius (he would argue that), who was recruited here to work after he graduated from UC Davis. Max has worked tirelessly through many software start-ups and eventually to Motorola where he was a VP. He finally was persuaded to leave to be an entrepreneur-in-residence for a venture fund. There he began his own company, a start-up in mobile devices, that he is pouring his heart and brains into. I am so proud of him for taking the chance at 45, to leave a lucrative and comfortable job and try his hand at something very new and less secure. Who knew at his age he'd be connecting with so many new and talented people in silicon valley and also learning a ton while doing this. Did I mention he is a great dad too?
I hope he inspires our sons to take some risks in life and in their careers!




Now, for my nominees for most inspiring to me are:

(I really hate this part because I'd love to put everyone!) Check out these blogs and all the wonderful gals who write them.

About Last Weekend

Heart and Soul

How to Love This World

I Just Want to Say

The Entertaining House

Dressing Mrs Exeter

Magnificent or Egregious

The Style and Travel Journals




There is no obligation to do anything for the award. I do love to learn more about everyone though!

Thank you Adrienne!
xo

Kim




No comments:

Post a Comment